Sunday 16 February 2020

Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye! Analysis

Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye!

Directed by: Dibakar Banerjee
Starring: Abhay Deol, Paresh Rawal
National Award for Best Popular Film

It is a heist film, treated with a unique voice. The voice of the film maker is presented wildly through the music, the Punjabi music which I personally loved. It felt like the music was being overtly used, there were a lot of montage sequences and the music was what set the tone for the film; but then as it kept going I felt like this was a stylistic choice made for the film. When you depend on the edit and music that much, the film can take any shape in the post production, as Ranbir Kapoor once said about Anurag Basu's process. The film felt more like a sociocultural depiction than a narrative, which isn't a complaint but the film maker expressed a cynical, gloomy outlook towards the world. The irony is that almost every person in the film has other motivations than what they express other than the protagonist, who is a thief. 

I didn't get the reason behind the casting of Paresh Rawal in three roles, at some point I was a little confused if there's a Sixth Sense kind of a twist awaiting. I'm wondering if there was any subtext behind that casting choice which I didn't get. There are a lot of heist scenes where he gets away just because he's so casual about it that no one would suspect that he's doing something wrong. That's interesting to see, but when it repeats a lot of times it feels a little convenient. Abhay Deol was brilliant in this film, his performance in a lot of scenes made me wonder about how many different ways he could've performed this scene and why only this way defines the character and makes it consistent throughout. I'm now curious to watch his other films.

I was expecting more from the film as I saw that it won the National Award, but I think for then this film must've presented a unique voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish?

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish? An average screenplay takes anywhere between a few months to a year or more to write. Unlike ...