Monday 22 February 2021

Pitta Kathalu Analysis

 Pitta Kathalu (2021) 

Produced by: RSVP Movies
Streaming on Netflix. 

My order of preference: Tharun Bhascker, Nag Ashwin, Sankalp Reddy, Nandini Reddy

Tharun Bhascker's Ramula - This is my favorite of all, and perhaps the only one I really liked in the film. It has a conscious visual language. The usage of music is quirky - the best part is the way they use upbeat music even over tragic scenes. Ramula is crying, her life is shattered, she commits suicide - and the music is still upbeat. It's a very interesting technique. It brings in a world view that the film is aware of all the good and bad things in life and it has a very godly worldview. The imagery and the storytelling is so strong. After the shot of Manchu Lakshmi putting it out in the news, the music starts and thereafter - I remember every shot. It's visual storytelling. It didn't work as much on a script level for me. But the film language - it has a lot of Scorsese's influence, and it made me like the film so much. It's not very often that we see rooted and grounded stories with such stylistic filmmaking - which is why I loved Ramula. 

Nag Ashwin's X-Life: I really liked the world building in this film. Although it was a little too direct in the way it speaks against social media - I was very impressed with the way the film was shot. A small complaint for me in this film would be that it was predictable, whatever that she was doing was to fuck him over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish?

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish? An average screenplay takes anywhere between a few months to a year or more to write. Unlike ...