Thursday 30 March 2023

Dasara (2023)

 Dasara (2023)

Directed by: Srikanth Odela
Starring: Nani, Keerthy Suresh
Spoilers Ahead.

I loved the opening 15-minutes, where they show us the world and the characters - I found it to be very interesting. Halfway into the first half, I realised that the film is opening up a few plots and running them in a parallel way and that the film could go take any direction from there. I absolutely loved the interval, but I just wish they explored Dharani & Suri's friendship in a more humane way for the interval to land better. To me, the entire 2nd half felt a little flat because I knew the story by the interval. Everything that was adding didn't change anything drastically. And if the villain kills him for the girl anyway, then what's the point of that whole elections bit? But though these questions came up in my head, my favourite scene from the entire film was Dharani going to bat after downing a lot of alcohol. It was sheer swagger.

What I loved about the film is, it has a strong sense of visuals, strong sense of character and setting - which we don't see a lot in Telugu cinema. There lies the problem with the film too, it feels slightly derivative of films we've already seen. And to me, though there were moments that were emotionally landing, there were a lot which weren't also. To me the whole climax didn't have the emotional effect I'd have liked it to. Having said all of these, apart from the few writing issues - the film has a strong directorial voice and I have mad respect for the film for exploring new avenues in terms of the tone and texture. I enjoyed the film, I guess I just expected more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish?

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish? An average screenplay takes anywhere between a few months to a year or more to write. Unlike ...