Sunday 19 April 2020

Nocturnal Animals Analysis

Nocturnal Animals

Directed by: Tom Ford
Starring: Amy Adams, Jake Gyllenhaal

This is a crazy film, about a woman who owns an art gallery, when she receives a manuscript of her ex-husband's new novel which he says that he has written it by getting inspired from her and what he writes is a dark story where his wife and daughter get raped and killed. It blew my mind when I was watching the film, I almost had a similar experience as the woman who's reading his manuscripts. Who would write such a dark story inspired by his ex-wife, does he wishes that happened to them or what is his idea behind writing it? Is this his revenge against her for not encouraging him when he used to write slice of life stories inspired from his own life? My only disappointment with this film with such aesthetic brilliance is that this film doesn't answer the questions it raises.

The opening sequence of this film, is something I've never seen before and I kept watching it in awe of the powerful imagery that I was seeing. This film too does my favorite mix of genres, art and crime. Art for me comes from within because I pursue it in some form or the other, so I have first hand experiences and crime is something that fascinates me and blending both can bring out a brilliant voice and a good example is Karthik Subbaraj. The narrative device of a story within a story confuses me, I can't feel for something when I know that it won't affect the characters I'm watching. This film had the scenes of the manuscript for about half of the film or even more, which was a little confusing in spite of those scenes being interesting. Because a story in a story, doesn't satisfy us unless we see a direct impact on the choices our characters make because of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish?

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish? An average screenplay takes anywhere between a few months to a year or more to write. Unlike ...