Friday 11 September 2020

The Social Dilemma Analysis

 The Social Dilemma

Directed by: Jeff Orlowski
Streaming on Netflix

A few days ago, everyone was hating on Rhea Chakraborty and since a week everyone is sympathizing with her, and if it proves in the ongoing investigation that she was actually guilty, then again people would go back to hating her. A few months ago, there was a news that someone stuffed an elephant with an explosive and everyone were raving about how there is no humanity, and a day after it turns out that the elephant ate it accidentally. A few days ago, there was outrage on Kavitha Reddy for her moral policing, and what are we doing to her? Aren't we giving her as much hate as she gave, and in turn moral policing her as well?

We all are slowly losing a sense of identity, our opinions are mostly a result of our social media feed and not our life experiences or the literature we read. Our social media feed is something which is largely controlled by people who want to hold our attention for the longest so that they can make money out of it. We find it very difficult to disagree to what we're being shown. We jump to conclusions very fast. We subscribe to news channels which we agree to, we subscribe to people who we agree to and we think that the other people are obviously wrong, it's because they are subscribed to stuff that they agree with.

I don't know how to get out of this mess, because it has its benefits as well - I want networking, information, memes, different opinions, different forms of art - but I can't seem to get these without the other pitfalls - the addiction. I find myself in a loop of following and unfollowing accounts which add no value to me. My ideas of happiness and success is constantly challenged by my feed, and I've to deal with this all the time no matter how content and accepting I try to be of myself.

This film points out what the problem is, we've to figure out how to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish?

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish? An average screenplay takes anywhere between a few months to a year or more to write. Unlike ...