Saturday 14 January 2023

Love Failure (2012)

Love Failure (2012)

Written and Directed by: Balaji Mohan
Starring: Siddharth, Amala Paul

This was such a fun watch - I absolutely enjoyed the style of storytelling in this film. The fourth wall breaks, the cutaway to gags, the commentary on relationships narrated using swish pans, fast cuts, snappy editing. This is exactly the kind of style that I aspire to achieve, where you can't even pick where a scene begins and ends. The whole film flows, and I feel like that state of flow is what's going to keep the audience hooked, with the reducing attention span. I like how it's told from the perspective of the guy, where he takes digs against women, in a light-hearted tone. It almost feels like he's representing all men who are trying to figure out the mystery of the other gender by telling us some generalized recurring behaviours. And there's not an ounce of animosity - there's just love, confusion and at times exasperation. I like how they use different subplots to also make a general commentary about how relationships are work. And I like how the whole narrative is constructed. 

Although what I thought I slightly missed in the film was how every relationship in the film was dealt on a slightly superficial level. I wish they dug a little more deeper, without even much change in the tone of the film. I felt like they never actually worked out the problems they had, all the couples just went back to each other without actually sorting their issues. I get it, at the end of the day it is acceptance and adjustment to an extent - but before that, there's a phase where they try to sort it out and I felt like I missed that phase in this film. Although, it was an absolute delight to watch Siddharth - he was so good. The reason I watched it in Telugu is because he dubbed for himself. And I liked the cameo of Balaji Mohan too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish?

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish? An average screenplay takes anywhere between a few months to a year or more to write. Unlike ...