Monday 16 January 2023

The Fabelmans (2022)

The Fabelmans (2022)

Directed by: Steven Spielberg
Written by: Steven Spielberg, Tony Kushner

This is easily one of the best films I've seen in a long time. Till now, I've been a fan of films which had a post-modern style - non linear editing, voice overs, snappy editing. I've never been a big fan of the classic style of filmmaking, with those films it's the stories that would stay with me. But with this film, I've discovered my love for the classic style of filmmaking. The film moved me so much, and the images are stuck in my head. There are two images that are still vivid in my head - one is the eyes of the 8-year-old boy, the curiosity and the excitement with which he looks at the movies, and two is the eyes of the 16-year-old boy, the moment when he realizes that his family is going to fall apart. I don't know if it's just me, but both the young actors who played Spielberg when he was 8 and 16 respectively, resembled Spielberg - especially his eyes. Apart from his love for filmmaking, I absolutely loved the story about his parents' marriage falling apart. It made me feel uncomfortable and scared, watching this as a third person. I can't imagine what they'd have gone through. And picking up the camera, getting the job done amidst witnessing all of this, is nothing but inspiring.

The character of both the parents is such beautifully explored, with utter honesty and empathy. I can understand why Spielberg would've waited all these years to tell this story, because it's supremely brave to be able to honestly tell an extremely nuanced story like this. Spielberg said that, after this havoc unfolded in the house is when he started looking at them as people more than as parents. Apart from this, the conversations at his house when he was a kid reminded of my conversations at home. I feel like those conversations are universal for any child who wants to become an artist. Although what I really enjoyed was the uncle's character - who's a broke, lonely artist - the way he scares Sam is funny. And I absolutely loved the cameo in the ending. This film tells me that you can tell deeply personal stories with classic style of filmmaking too. Before this film, if someone asked me 'Scorsese or Spielberg' I'd have said Scorsese without a second thought. Now, I'd say that too but I'd admit that I'm yet to watch a lot of films of Spielberg.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish?

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish? An average screenplay takes anywhere between a few months to a year or more to write. Unlike ...