Friday 27 January 2023

Pathaan (2023)

Pathaan

Directed by: Siddharth Anand
Starring: SRK, Deepika Padukone

I loved the teaser of this film and had a lot of expectations, because I enjoyed almost every film in the whole Spy Universe of YRF and this film seemed like a simple, focused, stylish, action flick. But I didn't enjoy the film as much, mostly because of the writing. To me, the image of SRK was outpowering the character a bit too much, to the point where I could feel no stakes or tension, which is key for an action film. The bits that I enjoyed was the cameo crossover (loved the painkiller bit), the backstory of Pathaan and Besharam Rang. My main problem with the film was that the action episodes seemed very convenient - for example in the heist scene - Deepika honeytraps the guy and Shahrukh does the Ka.. Ka.. Karen thing, and then when they actually go and steal it - they just go, show the man some cleavage and steal it. The only obstacle they face is physical force which they easily fight. Take the heist scenes in Dhoom 2, all of them are extremely clever. You don't see them coming. In this film, no matter how bad a situation people are in, they just fight their way out of it. 

I liked the Dimple Kapadia bit, because I didn't see it coming. Usually such parts are played by men, I liked how they flip the cliche this time. And this was the only part where I felt some real conflict in the film. Although inspite of the scale of the film, when John Abraham's character says, he needs Kashmir, it didn't seem as authentic and real. Perhaps because the film doesn't explore these settings in detail as much. Also the only clever bits in the film, Deepika and SRK's track felt a little similar to Hrithik and Aishwarya's track in Dhoom 2. Apart from all this, I enjoyed seeing SRK on screen after a long long time, but I wish the writing of the film had a little more depth. It would've taken the film to another level.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish?

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish? An average screenplay takes anywhere between a few months to a year or more to write. Unlike ...