Tuesday 3 August 2021

Cold Case Analysis

Cold Case (2021)

Directed by: Tanu Balak
Written by: Sreenath V. Nath
Starring: Prithviraj Sukumaran, Aditi Balan
Streaming on Amazon Prime.

The logline of the film read something like a mix of an investigative thriller, and a supernatural element and suddenly the film that ringed in me was 'The Wailing'. Though the ending of that film didn't work as much for me, it had a terrific tonality throughout. The reason this film disappointed me is because even the tone of the film didn't work for me. It uses the same old tropes of showing horror. Someone moving in the back. Someone making sounds. Some random magic tricks. I hate them even if they're done well. I, in fact, don't enjoy watching supernatural horror unless if the film works even without the horror element of it. Here, there are bits and pieces of the thriller piece working. Some interesting portions of investigation. But the core idea of the movie fell apart for me. I think a dead person seeking for revenge by becoming a ghost, as a story is done to death and we've to find different ways of exploring horror. A flashback in the ending which explains the mystery, the character who is a spirit master, lights turning off, dramatic music - all such elements. 

What worked for me in the film is that, in spite the film had all these cliches, I didn't feel like I should stop watching it. It had the expectations stay. Simply because the film is grounded well, and is shot decently. Like the scene where she sees a starfish in the icebox, the scene where the girl is stuck in the fridge - these are interesting scenes. I think if we maintain this standard of filmmaking, and if the story works, then it'll be a wonderful movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish?

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish? An average screenplay takes anywhere between a few months to a year or more to write. Unlike ...