Saturday 21 August 2021

Laila Majnu Analysis

Laila Majnu (2018)

Directed by: Sajid Ali
Written by: Imtiaz Ali, Sajid Ali 
Starring: Tripti Dimri, Avinash Tiwary
Spoilers Ahead

The film opens with a statement about destiny, that our stories are already written and that there's nothing we can do about it. I'm someone who chooses to believes in free will. But the same line is used in the film at a point, in the context of love and that gives a totally different meaning to it. The cute meet and the initial love story feels a bit phony, but I feel that for us to feel the stakes later irrespective of how phony it is, we have to watch the cute meet and all the kuchi kuchi romance. At least for those shots of him which flashes to Laila before she kills herself. Even in 3, that one shot of the bike ride during the cute meet just before Dhanush kills himself... it's heartbreaking. 

The film talks about longing, waiting, unrequited love. He waits, waits and waits for 4 years... and finally when they meet, they almost collapse. Such moments are beautifully captured. The behavior of the actors in these moments felt so intense. You can't capture something like this unless you've felt these things yourself, or else these feelings seem so silly. Later when she asks him to wait for a month, every second starts feeling so excruciatingly painful and after a moment, he flips. He's like, fuck it. I'm not going to wait anymore. I can feel what I want to feel. And he goes crazy. Well, there is a meaning to his craziness and for him, he knows why he is behaving like that, and the scene where he disturbs the prayer also conveys the same - but for me, I kind of lost him a little bit as I was looking at him go completely insane. Then, the thought that occurred to me was, I've seen a lot of people like this on the roads in my entire lifetime - I wonder what their stories would have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish?

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish? An average screenplay takes anywhere between a few months to a year or more to write. Unlike ...