Sunday 15 August 2021

The Conjuring (2013)

The Conjuring (2013)

Directed by: James Wan
Written by: Chad Hayes, Carey W. Hayes
Streaming on Amazon Prime Video.

I don't even know why I'm watching these horror films. I don't enjoy the genre in general, but for some reason, the idea of watching a horror film seems fun. I enjoy horror which is not supernatural, which would probably be like 5% of the horror films made. With the other 95, there is hope that somewhere a film would've done something different and most of the times, 'nope'. Just like every other horror flick, we see a haunted house and a family is amazed by the magic tricks that the spirits perform. I'm curious as to why these spirits perform magic tricks. Even my first short film was horror, and these are the tropes I resorted to as well - a chair gets pulled, the switches get turned off by themselves, and boom, horror! The only part I enjoyed in the film is the angle of how they are experts in paranormal activities, and have experience dealing with them, and how she has suffered because of this, and how she is trying to heal from it. I liked how they wrote the couple.

I know I'm probably shitting on a movie which made like $300mn, which is exactly what I'm trying to figure. As to what kind of gratification this flick gave. I understand that there is terrific amount of tension built and released, which gives a certain sense of high. But apart from that on an emotional level, on a cerebral level - I couldn't feel anything. I'm always excited by the idea of a horror film, you take any setting, and put a horror film there - it sounds interesting to me. But for some reason, I'm almost never satisfied when it's supernatural horror. Hereditary would be an exception, but even there the most high I got was the accident scene - which is again not supernatural horror. Apart from these, I enjoy survival horror, slasher films, the ones where there is some social commentary, and more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish?

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish? An average screenplay takes anywhere between a few months to a year or more to write. Unlike ...