Thursday 7 April 2022

Jalsa

Jalsa (2022)

Directed by: Suresh Triveni
Starring: Vidya Balan, Shefali Shah
Streaming on Amazon Prime Video.

The film has a very gripping premise. It's about a hit and run case of a young girl, and the aftermaths that follow. This isn't necessarily the premise. Maya (Vidya Balan) is a successful journalist who stands for the truth, and she's the one who does the accident. The irony of how a journalist who stands for the truth reacts when it's herself - that's the film. It plays more in the drama zone than in the mystery zone because we know who did it, and we see how the characters react when they get to know. I liked how there was a lot of complexity and contradictions in the characters, and I like how the world seemed very layered and rich. Especially Ayush's character - it added a whole lot to the world, the tone and the relationship dynamics between Maya and Rukhsana. I liked the climax and how they staged it - it felt very complex. I didn't quite enjoy the track of Imaad and whatever that was happening concerning them. It added a nice layer to the world, but I wasn't enjoying it as much. 

Usually, I love watching grey and messed up characters - but there has to be a likeability to them. Here, the mess up that the characters were, sometimes it wasn't visually pleasant to watch. Especially Maya's outbursts in the ending were getting a little irritating to watch. It was slowly leaking it into the psychological thriller space, which I usually enjoy but the meters of the performance of both Vidya and Shefali in the ending, made it a little challenging to track with. At the core, it's a cat and mouse sort of a thing and the other subplots weren't really doing much to me. For example, the entire track of the cop taking the bribe being covered on camera and that entire play - though it's an aid to the plot - I wish I saw more of the drama between Maya and Rukhsana. Though it wasn't emotionally gratifying and didn't work for me entirely, I enjoyed the film for how it was constantly complex and mysterious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish?

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish? An average screenplay takes anywhere between a few months to a year or more to write. Unlike ...