Tuesday 26 April 2022

Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy

Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy (2021)

Written and Directed by: Ryusuke Hamaguchi
Won the Silver Bear Grand Jury Prize at the Berlin International Film Festival

From the director of the Oscar winning film, ‘Drive My Car’ came another film in the same year. And even this film did a good run in the festival circuits. Both the films deal with the intricacies of modern relationships. I’d say that I enjoyed this film more than Drive My Car. This film is an anthology of three stories – and all the stories have very minimalist, simple setups – mostly told through conversations. The first story is a simple story about how a girl meets her best friend’s ex. The premise is extremely simple, but what he does with this is mind-blowing. This premise could lead to a comedy of errors, it could be a slice of life comedy, or a simple rom-com too. But this film goes into deeper territories. It talks about different shit people do in relationships ranging from self-sabotaging acts to how people deliberately hurt the ones that they love. For me, the entire stretch of conversation at the office was masterful writing.

The second story is also in a very interesting space – it’s simple on the outside, but if you go within, it plays with a lot of ideas like revenge, goes a bit into territories of voyeurism, and I absolutely loved how the story flips. Even in this story, the entire stretch of a scene is classy writing – set in one room, two people and it’s about 20 minutes and it explores so much of the human condition within relationships. I could sense a lot of unflinching honesty in the writing. The last story, was the least favorite of all for me. I liked the intensity of the feelings the characters were carrying, but somehow it didn’t translate to me as much. I’m usually not that much of a fan of anthologies – but I absolutely enjoyed watching this film, simply because how gripping the writing is, irrespective of its extremely simple setups.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish?

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish? An average screenplay takes anywhere between a few months to a year or more to write. Unlike ...