Saturday 28 May 2022

Top Gun: Maverick

Top Gun: Maverick (2022)

Directed by: Joseph Kosinski
Starring: Tom Cruise

I didn't watch the earlier part, so my reading of this film is limited to this film standalone. I enjoyed the conflict of how a son wants to take the place of his father, and how he's affected by the trauma and doesn't want to repeat the same mistakes. It's a very subtle ideological difference in the way they approach things. But I felt that the conflict was too thin. Perhaps, in the first part it would've been more strong because his best friend died because of his aggressive way of functioning. But this film was a derivative of that trauma. I felt like in the whole film, this was the only dramatic angle that was there and I felt like it wasn't enough to carry an entire film on itself. 

For a while, I was intrigued by this whole world of fighter pilots. But after a point, for some reason, I wasn't enjoying it as much. Probably because the action felt similar throughout the film, which I think can't be done much about considering it's action within fighter planes. The opening scene was beautiful. I could feel the tension, the way it was shot and edited. But after that, tension was created in similar ways. Like whenever there was trouble, I felt like the characters would get out of it someway or the other. And the way Maverick keeps breaking rules all the time, it felt like no matter how much you suppress him, he'll break them and go over. So there was not a strong force of antagonism. I don't know, it could probably be just me. But I felt a little let down by the film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish?

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish? An average screenplay takes anywhere between a few months to a year or more to write. Unlike ...