Saturday 14 March 2020

Angrezi Medium Analysis

Angrezi Medium

Directed by: Homi Adajania
Starring: Irrfan Khan, Radhika Madan, Kareena Kapoor, Deepak Dobriyal

I was so impressed by the trailer that just the trailer made me emotional and if they could make me emotional in under 3 mins what could they do if I give them 2-3 hours. This is what excited me to go watch the film. The film starts on a light tone, it starts with two brothers having a case and the comedy works. I don't get why the jokes/lines said in the trailer always get a better response in the theatre. Most of the people should've watched the trailer and they'd have known the joke, I don't get how it is funny again. The film has such good actors, both Irrfan Khan and Radhika Madan are so good that they have the emotional grip of the audience. It feels like they can easily make us cry. The core of the film is about youth's oblivion to their parents' loneliness and needs when they get older. I totally agree with what the film was trying to say but they could've shown the child's argument in a way that she was right too. David Fincher says that drama in an argument works best when both of them are right. The child looking for privacy and independence, it is a natural thing and just to push the drama too far they make the child wrong. I get it that if they make both sides more nuanced, the drama wouldn't work.

I was wondering throughout why they used the Hindi Medium title and then the scene where Irrfan Khan tries to get hit for money, that scene brings it all together and that scene is the spirit of the franchise. But I was underwhelmed by the film, in terms of emotions. I was expecting that I'd cry watching the film, by the trailer but I didn't. The film is a fun film, it worked for me but it fell something short of being a great film. The ending worked for me, in spite of it being predictable to me. I love these type of endings in stories where you go for something and you go through one hell of a journey for it but at the end you realise that you don't need what you were looking for all along and you become a different person altogether.

I was wondering why did they have the 'confusion' voice over in the beginning. It didn't add much to the story, his confusion is not dilemma and it seems like he gets confused with jargon. But at the end, it just feels like a small payoff and it feels satisfying. Kareena's track was the same as Radhika's arc and it was just used for Irrfan to say out his feelings on what kids are doing wrong for us to listen. Deepak Dobriyal deserves a special mention, he was hilarious in the film. The writing of the film is structurally solid, I could sense a bit of Blake Snyder's Beat Sheet being applied here. I didn't have fun in some parts of the film like Pankaj Tripathi's track and a few other parts but as an overall experience, it was a fun film to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish?

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish? An average screenplay takes anywhere between a few months to a year or more to write. Unlike ...