Sunday 13 February 2022

Crazy, Stupid, Love.

Crazy, Stupid, Love. (2011)

Directed by: Glenn Ficarra, John Requa
Written by: Dan Fogelman
Starring: Steve Carrell, Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone
Streaming on Amazon Prime.

In the world of modern romance, we don't really resonate much with stories which believe in ideal love, the one, soulmates. We resonate much with moments of connection that are fleeting, we resonate with feelings of solidarity within relationships. Although Dan Fogelman, rekindles our belief in love with his stories. I didn't know that this film was written by him, but I remember feeling the same when I watched the first episode of This Is Us. I was pleasantly surprised with the unapologetic belief in true love. I remember a line from This Is Us, I found my purpose in life when I met you, it was to make you happy. This film talks about how you never give up on the one. Well, the worldview of putting the other person before yourself, it's so different from the game of modern dating, where independence and individuality is seen as a strength, and even the feeling of depending on someone, counting on someone is seen as a weakness - which is exactly why Cal couldn't accept Jacob as his daughter's boyfriend. Well, the only thing different is that the person also has to choose you - the case with the teenage kid - him not giving up wasn't really that great of an advice, because that can easily go into a slippery zone. 

I loved how a lot of plot was seamlessly crafted into the film. The big confrontation scene was hilarious and that's when I realized, oh there's this much happening and I followed every bit of it very seamlessly. Steve Carrell was beautiful - his vulnerability came through very well. I like how they dealt with the wife's character with empathy, and it's almost like they make us travel with it slowly just like how Cal does. In the beginning, we too judge her just like Cal. Eventually, we understand things better, again exactly like Cal - where he says, I'm mad at you, but also at myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish?

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish? An average screenplay takes anywhere between a few months to a year or more to write. Unlike ...