Thursday 24 February 2022

High Fidelity (2000)

High Fidelity (2000)

Directed by: Stephen Frears
Based on a book of the same name. 

I discovered this film when I was reading about 500 Days of Summer that it's a good film, in the lines of Annie Hall & High Fidelity. I felt that if this film is being compared on those leagues, then I should watch this film. Because I think Annie Hall in one of the most stylish films ever made. So my expectations out of this film was that it's a love story, and is high on style. And the film touched the expectations. The protagonist talks about his failed relationships, with some wit and humor. There is a lot of breaking the fourth wall, and I usually find it to be a bit boring by now, simply because it's over done. But I found it's usage in this film to be interesting, even though it came in 2000, when the form was probably just starting to be in use. There's different kinds of comedy in the film. There is nice Tarantino-ish banal conversation around word play, like for example, the piece about 'yet', and then there is some physical, visual comedy in the record store. 

From a story perspective, it's a common story - a guy who never falls in love, but ends up falling in love. The interesting part here is how he differentiates her from the rest. He says that the rest is a fantasy, and he's tired of the fantasy now, and he wants something real which is her. I was wondering if that won't be offensive, if you say that to your partner. I don't know. John Cusack did a great job as an actor, he was very interesting to watch - all of his expressions were so easy to follow. It's a nice film, I enjoyed it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish?

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish? An average screenplay takes anywhere between a few months to a year or more to write. Unlike ...