Friday 25 March 2022

RRR

Spoilers Alert.

Every time it’s an S. S. Rajamouli film, I feel so overwhelmed with emotions. It takes a while to get back to normalcy. It’s a similar feeling one would get from the freefall in skydiving, which typically lasts for 60 seconds. What if you sustain that feeling for 3 hours? That’s an S. S. Rajamouli film.

I love how the film is introduced in 3 steps – the story, the fire and the water. The film right away jumps into the story with the opening sequence. And then the two terrific action sequences – the introduction of both the characters which are shot and choreographed beautifully – I was going ‘how did they pull this off’ in so many shots – and this rare feeling is what keeps the magic of cinema on.

And then the masterstroke – where they bring all the 3 R’s together, the story, the fire and the water. When the boy had to be saved, I had goosebumps. I could see the film unfolding right there. This is where two people who have opposite motivations, become friends because they are in disguise. And the way this scene was choreographed – I was spell bounded. And then the title card, RRR. And then they both jump into water and Dosti kicks in. I was in tears – and the film just started. Just Rajamouli things.

The interval sequence, okay, okay, okay. I remember feeling ‘nice’, ‘amazing’, ‘wow’ after watching some beautifully composed shots in some films. But I don’t remember going “WHAT THE FLYING FUCK!” after looking at any frame in any film ever. The shot where the animals fly out of the truck, I’d watch the film once more only for that one single shot. In Baahubali 2, for me this kind of a shot was when in the climax, both their chariots fly in the air and their spears clash. But this was even more an ‘OMFG’ moment.

The whole interval stretch was a blast. The fire crackers oozing in the behind. The water pipes splashing around. The animals running around. I was like, hang on, hang on, I need to process this shot. That was wonderful… oh wait. Oh shit, this is also mind blowing. Oh but… oh my! This was how I was feeling in the interval sequence. And it’s beautiful and endearing because Bheem got in an army of animals and brought an entire castle down, for one small girl.

Apart from RRR being an action packed entertainer, it’s a film with a lot of heart. I loved the story too because two people with the exact same intentions end up turning against each other. The flashback sequence of Ram, justifies his actions, his character, it closes plot points and it’s a kickass scene by itself if not for anything else too. He’s a man who killed his own father, because it’s revolution. Such a man, let go of his mission for a friend. And then, after they both know that both of them are standing for the same things, they both go and conquer the world. It’s such a beautiful story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish?

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish? An average screenplay takes anywhere between a few months to a year or more to write. Unlike ...