Friday 18 March 2022

The Kashmir Files (2022)

The Kashmir Files (2022)

Written and Directed by: Vivek Agnihotri
Spoilers Alert.

It's a hard hitting film, exploring untold horror stories in Kashmir. The film talks about cases which were officially not reported, so the film operates a journalist piece as well. The film does wonders from that lens - for uncovering a historical event in a brutally honest way. The film explores a lot of stories and facts about Kashmir too, which we usually aren't exposed to. It's almost like a documentary, but it's told through fictional characters so that at the end of the day it seems like a movie - because obviously a documentary wouldn't have a theatrical release here. I liked Anupam Kher's character, and his arc. Anupam Kher was so good, especially in his death scene. The ending was brutal - it had the vibes of the ending of Sairaat - the way they were using silence in the background.

However, as a story and as a film, it didn't engage me. Because the reality of the film is so far away from mine, that I was watching the film from a distance, almost as if I was watching the news. I was watching the film and feeling bad, but never could I relate or connect to the characters in the film. Whereas in a war film like Life is Beautiful (1997), they match our reality and the reality of war by slowly gaping the bridge. It's understandable why some people are breaking down in the theatres, because their reality in the past sometime was close to this. But for me, I was watching it as it was news. That was my only issue with the film. I wish I could feel a bit more with the characters. Nevertheless, it was a hard hitting experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish?

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish? An average screenplay takes anywhere between a few months to a year or more to write. Unlike ...