Sunday 13 March 2022

The Batman (2022)

The Batman (2022)

Directed by: Matt Reeves
Cinematography: Greig Fraser
Starring: Robert Pattinson

I like how superhero films are being experimented in terms of the tonality they're trying to achieve. For example, Joker was a beautiful blend of the superhero universe and the Scorsese-ish style of filmmaking. And it worked wonders. This film is a blend of the superhero universe and the Fincher-esque murder mystery genre. It created an exhilarating effect - especially the way it was shot. I absolutely loved the car chase sequence, and I remember having goosebumps in a shot, my favorite shot of the film - after the car crashes, the upside down shot of Batman walking towards the camera, where there is rain and fire happening in the background. I also remember those top angle shots of Batman standing in the middle of the clues and trying to solve them, they were also visually interesting. I felt that the action was a bit grounded too, especially when Batman fails to land smoothly, and instead crashes on the road once.  

The film's very stylish - the way music is used - there's a rhythm to it and I remember a few scenes where I was dabbing to the music with my legs, almost like how you enjoy to good music in a party. This doesn't happen unless the music matches to the film. You could use the best of music, but if it doesn't match - it seems jarry. I loved John Turturro, the one who played Carmine Falcon - his presence was really good. I thought that the film was extremely high on drama at a few stretches - like the antagonism was on point. But I felt that the retribution, or rather 'the vengeance' wasn't as exhilarating. Which is why I felt that the end was a bit underwhelming. But in spite of that, I really enjoyed the film and I'm looking forward to the sequels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish?

Why blog when you have a screenplay to finish? An average screenplay takes anywhere between a few months to a year or more to write. Unlike ...